Friday, October 19, 2012

Barcelona's first language

This city is in a region of Spain called Catalonia, which was once a separate country, not too long ago. The language of Catalonia, called Catalan, is like Spanish in some words, but more like French in others. (I don't speak either Spanish or French well, so I can only give you my observations and guesses.)

After Madrid, Sevilla, and Granada, it has been very interesting, and a little confusing, to be in a city where Spanish is not the first language. Many signs are only in Catalan, so I have to guess even more than usual to understand.

The signs below give you an idea. One has Spanish and English in addition to Catalan (easy); one has Spanish (OK); two have only Catalan. In the sign with the girl in a wheelchair, can you figure out what the words mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment