Friday, October 19, 2012

Barcelona, day 4: rain in Spain

Friday morning was rainy, so we took our umbrellas for the walk up the Passeig de Gràcia. We wanted to look at some amazing buildings designed about 100 years ago, with curvy walls and lots of decoration on the outside. I hope you can see some detail in my photos.

We had not planned to visit the Sagrada Familia, one of the most unusual churches in the world. But the rain didn't stop us from making the longer walk, and I'm glad we did. Antoni Gaudí (who also designed some of the other buildings we saw earlier) planned this church, and when he died in 1926 it was only partly completed. It is still under construction today, as you can see by the giant crane, and they hope to finish by 2026. Because there was a huge line of umbrellas (and people under them) waiting to enter the church, we decided not to go in.

I don't know anything about the street sculpture with the submarine. I just thought it was cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment