The whole group of friends (20 people) spent the day with a guide who knows the area very well and gave us lots of interesting history.
Our day started in the town of Sarlat, which has a fine mostly-pedestrian area of buildings dating back to the middle ages. (There's also some good shopping for 21st-century spiritual experiences.) Dan and I had been there on our earlier trip, and we learned more this time. But I don't have any terrific photos, and the day was very full, so I'll move on.
Another site we revisited was the small cave called Font de Gaume, with prehistoric cave paintings from approximately 15,000 years ago. It's near the town of Les Eyzies, where some serious centers of paleolithic and archeological research are located. (So is the Hotel Cro-Magnon.) Imposing cliffs surround Les Eyzies, and the town is not above taking advantage; note the guy standing way up on the rock:
Back to the cave, where skilled people created beautiful images fifteen thousand years ago. Font de Gaume is much smaller than the world-famous Lascaux caves, but I like it at least as much. You're in a small group, right next to the cave walls (don't touch! I'm serious!) with a guide who's been there for years. Of course photography by knuckleheads like me is prohibited, and the photo I copied from a website seems to be copyrighted so I can't include it. Look up Font de Gaume and be very impressed.
From that trip to the Distant Past, we went on to the middle ages, visiting the ruins of the castle of Commargue. None of these places are well-suited to people with fear of heights (or weak knees). It looks like this from a short distance:
And after you climb all the way up to the tippy-top, you are rewarded with this, looking straight down:




I'm enjoying your trip very much. It's a part of Europe that we haven't visited yet. Beautiful pictures and I like the idea of 20 friends taking a vacation together.
ReplyDeleteWe loved Sarlat! I like re-living this part of France through your eyes.
ReplyDelete